Friday, May 20, 2011

Butterbeer, take I

So, I do believe it goes without saying that we all fell in love with the Butterbeer while we were at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, so I immediately went to work, once we got home, searching out a recipe so we could attempt to recreate the delicious, buttery beverage. 

I looked online, and this recipe sounded the most similar to what we'd tasted.
Photobucket

Basically, you just make a caramel sauce with loads of butter, and brown sugar.  There are some added flavorings, though, that I think really make it taste more authentic, like rum extract and ironically enough the cider vinegar. 
Photobucket

Photobucket

Per the recipe's calling, the caramel sauce is then spooned into tall glasses.  (I guessed on the amount, and this seemed to taste pretty good)
Photobucket

Then pour IBC Cream soda in the glass and stir the caramel mixture in.  Now, can I just say, that at this point it was tasting really good, but the caramel sauce has dairy in it, so it immediately started foaming at the top and making it's own head.  Universal's Butterbeer had an artificial head, a butterscotchy whipped cream poured on top, and it was delicious.  So that's the part of this recipe I didn't like...I spooned out all the natural foam, and replaced it with the butterscotch whipped cream.  The recipe didn't specify about what to do about that, but I spooned it out. 
Photobucket

It was approved, with honors, by our resident Harry Potter expert.  ;)

On a side note, I made it again but I used cheap cream soda, and butterscotch ice cream topping syrup in both the soda and the whipped cream.  It still foamed a little, but not as bad, so I liked it better.  Mariah, of course, likes the long drawn out version best!  ;)

There you have it!  That's, essentially, what a butter beer is!  :)
~mj~

No comments: