Wednesday, November 9, 2011

The green stuff...

Owen enjoying a little glass of the green stuff.  (Naked, green machine)
Mmm....
Photobucket

The other day, Owen and I were walking through the Target parking lot, when I reached for his hand, like I always do.  He pulled it away and informed me that he didn't want to hold my hand today.  I stopped and explained to him that he HAD to hold my hand in parking lots...he was too little...cars couldn't see him, and that it's not safe.  His response stunned me...he said,

"I know all of that, and that is why I'm going to walk RIGHT next to you, but I don't want to hold your hand."

:(

And he did...he stayed perfectly even with my legs, matching step for step.  I floated a protective hand around his back, just in case, but he didn't take his eyes off of our legs, ensuring he was indeed, right beside me.

I gotta hand it to him.  He knew what he wanted, and he stated his case maturely and with much thought and reason.  I wonder how long he'd been brewing that one in his little head?

It made me sad...I've been holding hands in parking lots for 15 1/2 years now, and I know my day is coming when I won't have little hands to hold in a parking lot.  I wondered if this new found desire for independence was going to be his new thing, but it hasn't turned out to be.  He's held my hand in parking lots since this moment.  I think he just wanted to see if he *could* and when he found out he could, he was good.  :)

That one is a *wee* bit like his mama.  ;)
~mj~

1 comment:

Christol said...

:( Such a grown up in a little body. I would have allowed him to walk by me too but milestones like this are definitely bitter sweet. ((hugs))