Keep in mind, this kid crawled out of his crib the day after his FIRST birthday. That's right, 12 months, one day old. He absolutely hated the confines of his crib, and didn't sleep through the night, or nap (for that matter) until we put him in a toddler bed. I just knew keeping him in a toddler bed would be a nightmare, seeing that we couldn't even keep him in a crib. Nope...piece of cake...started taking killer naps and sleeping through the night, almost immediately. I feel that once we took him out of the crib he hated, he felt like he was in control. Once he knew HE was choosing to stay there...it was all good. He just didn't like being forced to stay there. :)
Now, keep in mind...he's had the bitty bike with training wheels for almost a year now, and he's hardly ridden it! I really think this little story is the older version of Owen's battle with the crib. With the training wheels on, he didn't feel in control of the bike.
So, Sunday night, Gerad took the training wheels off to test the waters with our 4 year old. Needless to say, he took to it like a hand to a glove. And get this...the bitty bike that we've had taking up space in the garage...has been ridden non-stop since then. It was literally a matter of minutes between him needing Gerad to start him, and him being able to start and stop on his own. This kid just doesn't seem to have fear or physical limitations holding him back.
I'm going to need lots of prayers through his teen years.

That's sheer determination on his face.

And he's lovin' every minute of it!

Like I said...just a matter of mere minutes and he was OFF. The girls had trouble starting and stopping on their own when they first started without training wheels. He had it mastered in a half hour! Boys are just...well, a different breed.

I think he's aiming right at me!!

Stinker! He slams on his brakes at the very last minute. :)

Here Gerad is no where around, and he's already maneuvering the bike traffic on our street. See the other (big) bike wheel on the far left of the picture?

He's a little too cocky, sometimes, though. He goes too fast...he cuts corners too sharp...but I think it's been well established that trying to hold this one back just won't work. So when I say I'm gonna need extra prayers during his teen years...well, maybe we should start those now...for me, AND him.

:)
~mj~
2 comments:
These are such sweet photos of Gerad and Owen. I love looking at your pictures and following your blog. You have such a wonderful family.
Thanks, Jennifer! So you do! I really enjoy watching little Jerry grow on yours too! He's such a handsome little guy! :)
Post a Comment