Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Cross Country

Thanks to one of of Mariah's friend's mom for this picture...
This picture isn't from last night's race.

I don't have pictures from last night's race.

I'm not sure Mariah wants pictures from last night's race. 

It was hot.

It was insanely windy.

It was at a course that, for whatever reason, her time suffers.

And she got beat...she lost her varsity spot for the next race.

She was silent on the 40 minute car ride home.

That makes me nervous...she's never quiet.

Ever.

I tell her,

"So, I ran today too!"

(this got some eye contact at least)

"Yep!  I sure did!  Ran a FULL mile....only...not quite."

(that's the ticket, she's raised one eyebrow...and one corner of her lip starts to curl upward)

"And I had a ROCKIN' pace..."

(both eyebrows fly up...she's mine now!)

"Yep...15 minute mile...try not to be jealous, ok?"

(full smile...and she's back)

I then proceeded to tell her that SHE is what I thought about when I ran.

"Mariah, I am sorely out of shape.  I did not want to run today, but then I thought of you.  You are my motivation.  My inspiration.  I thought about you being on that run with me, and it kept me going.  Of course, all I saw of you was your backside."

(she's still smiling at me.  love that girl who can humor her crazy mama)

"At one point, I even pictured you running backwards to look at me.  Showoff."

(she liked that one)

"But the bottom line is this, Mariah...I'm proud of you.  You inspire me.  If you can get out there and run your tail off training every day, and RACE people for 2.5 miles, multiple times a week, I can get out there and run a measly mile!!"

I might have taken it just a *little* too far with that last line...she said,

"You should!!!  You should run a mile every single day, because of me!"

Oh crap.

I should have seen that one coming!

So, I'm off...I'm gonna go lace up my running shoes, because my daughter is a runner, and if she can do it...

so can I.

I think.
~mj~

1 comment:

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I admire Mariah definitely! Cross country is HARD.